Neale Donald Walsch is an American author, best known for his book series Conversations with God. He is also an actor, screenwriter, and speaker whose ideas are very similar to other writers in the New Thought movement.
Walsch was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on September 10, 1943. His family encouraged his quest for spiritual truth, and for many years he informally studied comparative theology.
He worked as a radio station program director, newspaper managing editor, and in marketing and public relations. According to Wikipedia, he suffered a series of crushing blows in the 1990s: a fire that destroyed all of his belongings, the break-up of his marriage, and a car accident that left him with a broken neck . For a while he was living in a tent in Jackson Hot Springs, just outside Ashland, Oregon, collecting and recycling aluminium cans in order to eat.
He began to write after working his way out of homelessness, while he was a radio talk show host.
In 1995 he created CwG Foundation, a non-profit foundation which served to address the response from people around the world to spread the message of the Conversations with God book series. The Foundation has created retreats, activities and programs aimed at “allowing people to use the message to change their own lives and the world at large”.
In March 2003, Neale Donald Walsch created Humanity’s Team in response to the crisis that he saw the human race facing following the events of September 11th, 2001. Humanity’s Team‘s purpose, according to the website, is “to communicate and demonstrate the timeless truth that We Are All One, with God and life – caring for each other and the world we share – so that people’s actions reflect this profound understanding within a generation”.
Teachings and Philosophy
Walsch expands basic New Thought ideas to offer a solution to the crisis that the civilization is in. He believes that we are years, not decades, from collapse, and the purpose of his Conversations with God books is to raise collective consciousness to avert this crisis.
He says “the world could change overnight” if we could change our consciousness, and we don’t have to wait for the whole society or government to change – individuals can change first and then help other individuals change.
What causes the crisis, according to Walsch, is the mistaken ideas organized religions teach us about God – as priests want control, they don’t want us to know that we are actually one with God and with all life, and it’s only because religion tells them so that people believe they are separate from God.
That’s why we need a new spiritual revelation: his books, which he claims are channeled from God. His core point is that God is life, and we are God, and this realization of oneness has tremendous practical ramifications: as we achieve this higher state of awareness, we will realize that what you do for another, you do for self and vice versa, losing our selfishness as someone else’s interests are now seen as our own interests.
In the new society that he proposes there will be a shift in consciousness so that everyone will share everything equally, and thus there will not be any private property – there will not even be personal pronouns as there will not even be the concept “yours” or “mine”. He also explains that this system is much different than communism, because in communism people were forced to share, and in his system, the sharing in society comes about not from force, but from a change in consciousness.
The nine book in the Conversations with God series, published between 1996-2006, are:
- Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue (Book 1)
- Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue (Book 2)
- Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue (Book 3)
- Friendship with God: An Uncommon Dialogue
- Communion With God: An Uncommon Dialogue
- Conversations With God for Teens (foreword by Alanis Morissette)
- The New Revelations: A Conversation with God
- Tomorrow’s God: Our Greatest Spiritual Challenge
- Home with God: In a Life That Never Ends
In addition to these books, there are also a number of guidebooks, meditation books, and other books adapted from the CwG series, written in order to to assist with understanding and applying the messages.
His other books include:
- Neale Donald Walsch on Relationships
- Neale Donald Walsch on Holistic Living
- Neale Donald Walsch on Abundance and Right Livelihood
- Applications for Living from Conversations With God
- Bringers of the Light
- Recreating Your Self
- Moments of Grace: When God Touches Our Lives Unexpectedly
- What God Wants: A Compelling Answer to Humanity’s Biggest Question
- Part of the Change: Your Role As A Spiritual Helper
- Happier Than God: Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
- When Everything Changes, Change Everything: In a Time of Turmoil, a Pathway to Peace
- Santa’s God: A Children’s Fable About the Biggest Question Ever
- The Little Book of Life: A User’s Manual
- The Mother of Invention: The Legacy of Barbara Marx Hubbard and the Future of YOU
- When God Steps In, Miracles Happen
- The Storm Before the Calm (Book 1 in the Conversations with Humanity Series)
- The Only Thing That Matters (Book 2 in the Conversations with Humanity Series)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
The deepest secret is that life is not a process of discovery, but a process of creation. You are not discovering yourself, but creating yourself anew. Seek therefore, not to find out Who You Are, but seek to determine Who You Want to Be.
The purpose of relationship is not to have another who might complete you, but to have another with whom you might share your completeness.
Enlightenment is understanding that there is nowhere to go, nothing to do, and nobody you have to be except exactly who you’re being right now.
And here’s how Neale Donald Walsch explains manifestation:
- Neale Donald Walsch’s official website is at www.nealedonaldwalsch.com.
Navigation: Home > Law of Attraction Authors > Neale Donald Walsch